How the council works
The council has agreed a constitution which sets out how the council operates, how decisions are made and the procedures which are followed to ensure that these are efficient, transparent and accountable to local people. Some of these processes are required by the law, while others are a matter for the council to choose.
To view the constitution click here.
Mayor of Liverpool
The mayor is elected by the residents of Liverpool for a four-year period and is responsible for the council's executive functions and the day-to-day running of the organisation. These include leading the city, building investor confidence and directing new resources to economic priorities.
The full council is made up of 90 locally elected councillors who make decisions on how to improve local services on behalf of local people.
Political Composition 2017/2018
Decisions and scrutiny of activities are undertaken through a range of Committees and Panels, including:
- Cabinet - chaired by the Mayor and comprising nine cabinet members each with specific responsibilities assigned by the Mayor.
- Select Committees - these monitor decisions made by the Mayor and Cabinet and also examine ongoing performance within the City Council.
- Scrutiny Panels - these are focused panels established by one or more Select Committee to undertake an in-depth examination of a particular issue or service
- Regulatory Committees - these discharge a range of regulatory functions relating to planning and licensing matters.
- Other committees.
The day-to-day management of the council and its services is carried out by the Management Team.
- Tony Reeves, Chief Executive.
- Catherine Garnell, Assistant Chief Executive.
- Steve Reddy, Director of Children and Young People's Services.
- Ron Odunaiya, Director of Community Services.
- Nick Kavanagh, Director Regeneration and Employment.
Martin Farran, Director of Adult Services and Health.
Jeanette McLoughlin, City Solicitor & Monitoring Officer.
Peter Casterton, Interim Section 151 Officer & Head of Corporate Finance.